Adult Education | Immigration

For those who are unable to complete secondary (high school) education, London offers an alternative program where adult students can complete class credit towards their secondary school diploma at the GA Wheable Center for Adult Education. These courses are offered both in-person and online, depending on course requirements and teaching methods. For example, hairdressing or art courses are more likely to be completed on-site, while math courses can be completed more easily online. High school courses in Ontario are typically completed in one semester (taking four classes of about one hour each day), over a period of approximately four months. However, the course can be sped up if you only take one course at a time.

The TVDSB Adult and Continuing Education Program also serves as a similar gateway to learning. These institutions can help you improve your literacy, numeracy and basic computer skills, as well as enroll in English as a Second Language classes, high school credit courses through Adult Daily School, and self-study credit courses.

Center for Lifelong Learning – Catholic Board offers basic literacy and skills training to help students prepare for jobs, internships, secondary school credit, post-secondary education and greater independence.

Postgraduate/Higher Education

London is an ideal place to study at post-secondary level, with a growing international student population.

Western University

Western University is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive universities. Known for providing the best Canadian student experience, more than 2,800 of the nearly 35,000 full-time students in the West are international students. Western offers its own English Language Center (WELC). Western University consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the country, and in the top 250 universities in the world. Western’s commitment to diversity encourages international students from more than 117 countries. The university is renowned for its research and publication efforts, more than 60% of which involve international collaborators. Western University has three university-colleges, Brescia, King’s, and Huron, each of which offers unique higher education program delivery and a more intimate setting with fewer students. Many students at each of these colleges also take classes on Western’s large main campus – all of which are easily accessible by the university’s on-campus bus, as well as public transportation.

Brescia University College (Western University Affiliation)

Brescia University College, the only women’s university in Canada, educates women to think critically and participate actively in society. Brescia offers bachelor’s degree programs in Arts, Social Sciences, Management and Organizational Studies, as well as bachelor’s and master’s programs in Food and Nutrition.

Huron University College (Western University Affiliation)

Huron University College, the founding college of Western University, opened in 1863, making it one of Canada’s oldest universities. Originally founded as an Anglican theological college, Huron now offers programs in Liberal Arts, Management and Organizational Studies, Social Sciences, and Theology.

King’s University College (Western University Affiliation)

King’s University College is a highly rated center of teaching excellence offering bachelor’s degree programs in Arts, Management and Organizational Sciences, and Social Sciences as well as bachelor’s and master’s programs in Social Work.

Ivey School of Business (at Western University)

Ivey Business School offers undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs with a strong global focus.

Fanshawe University

Fanshawe is a comprehensive college serving the Greater London area by providing flexible learning settings and experiential educational opportunities developed in response to labor market needs. One of the largest colleges in Ontario – with four campuses in London, Simcoe, St. Thomas, and Woodstock – Fanshawe serves nearly half a million people with a promise to educate, engage, empower and excite. Fanshawe offers more than 200 degrees, diplomas, certificates and internship programs to 43,000 students each year, including more than 7,000 international students, helping people unlock their potential and achieve success in a variety of disciplines including applied arts, business, healthcare, human services , hospitality and technology. Fanshawe also offers its own English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program (domestic | international), Job Specific Language training and other programs for newcomers.

College Boreal

Collège Boréal is a French-language postsecondary institution, the Collège offers French-language continuing education, employment assistance, immigrant integration and other social programs. For private career colleges visit Information London to find out more.

Postgraduate Work Permit

After graduating from a full-time, college or university level program with a minimum duration of eight months at a recognized designated learning institution in Canada, you may be eligible to apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada for a Postgraduate Work Permit (PGWP). This permit allows graduates to find work and gain invaluable Canadian work experience. This experience can be used to apply for permanent resident status. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada have introduced a new way for eligible graduate international students to apply for permanent resident status in Canada: